Teaching through Basque: Achievement and Challenges
Edited by: Jasone Cenoz
This volume focuses on research in education in the Basque Country where Basque is very often the language of instruction for some or all the school subjects. The volume provides background information about the Basque educational system; about academic and linguistic results related to the use of Basque as the language of instruction and the challenges and problems the Basque educational system is currently facing. The volume focuses on research conducted in the Basque Country that can be useful for other bilingual and multilingual contexts involving different language combinations. The articles look at the achievements of the last 25 years but also discuss the challenges the Basque educational system is facing nowadays.
The volume is a welcome addition to the growing number of works about bilingual education and is a witness to the rich tradition of research in the Basque Autonomous Community.
Jasone Cenoz is professor of Applied Linguistics at the University of the Basque Country. Her research focuses on bilingualism and multilingualism in educational settings. She is the editor (in collaboration with Ulrike Jessner) of The International Journal of Multilingualism and Aila Review. She is publications coordinator of AILA (International Association of Applied Linguistics) and she is the vice-president of IAM (International Association of Multilingualism). She has published widely on bilingualism and multilingualism and her most recent volume is Towards Multilingual Education: Basque Educational Research in International Perspective which will be published by Multilingual Matters.
Introduction: Learning Through the Minority: An Introduction to the Use of Basque in Education in the Basque Country - Jasone Cenoz
1. Bilingual Education in the Basque Autonomous Community: Achievements and Challenges - Mikel Zalbide and Jasone Cenoz
2. Bilingual Education in Navarre: Achievements and Challenges - Nekane Oroz and Pablo Sotés
3. Assessment of Bilingual Education in the Basque Country - Josu Sierra
4. A Longitudinal Study of Academic Achievement in Spanish: The Effect of Linguistic Models - K. Santiago, J.F. Lukas, L. Joaristi, L. Lizasoain and N. Moyano
5. Measuring Student Language Use in the School Context - Iñaki Martinez de Luna & Pablo Suberbiola
6. Basque, Spanish and Immigrant Minority Languages in Basque Schools - Felix Etxeberria and Kristina Elosegi
7. Promoting the Minority Language through Integrated Plurilingual Language Planning: The Case of Ikastolas - Itziar Elorza and Inmaculada Muñoa